Your home is where you and your family go about your lives – with all the many activities that this entails. If your home has suffered damage, you want to get it back up and working as effectively and efficiently as possible, and your home insurance should be the best path forward. After all, that’s the reason you purchase residential insurance and rely upon it in the first place. If your home has been damaged by a storm, fire, hail, or anything else, you need an experienced Apollo Beach, FL residential claims lawyer on your side.
Your Home Insurance Claim
If your home’s been damaged, you probably want and/or need to have it repaired as quickly as possible. The insurance company involved, however, has many techniques at the ready to help thwart this process. The fact is that insurance companies are in the business of making money, and one way they’re able to do this is by minimizing their settlement offers and even denying claim requests outright. Your residential claim is far too important to leave to chance, so work closely with an experienced residential insurance claims lawyer who will skillfully negotiate on behalf of the best possible resolution of your claim.
Preparation Is Key
The insurance company doesn’t expect you to know much about the insurance claims process – or even about your policy for that matter. Preparing ahead of time, however, is always in your best interest. All of the following can help you get ahead of the game and can help ensure that you obtain the compensation to which you are entitled regarding your residential claim:
- Obtain the professional legal counsel of an experienced residential insurance claims lawyer to help successfully guide you through the claims process.
- Locate your insurance policy and determine exactly how you’re covered and to what extent. Insurance policies are not written with the purchaser in mind, but your dedicated residential claims lawyer will help ensure that you know exactly how well you are covered and the kind of compensation you can expect.
- Take pictures and videos that succinctly document the damage your home has suffered.
- Make records of all correspondence with your insurance provider (from both sides) and keep the information in chronological order. This will provide you with easily accessible reference information and will help you pinpoint if any discrepancies arise.
The better prepared you are, the more smoothly your case should proceed.
The Insurance Company’s Response
Once you’ve filed your claim, if your insurance company chooses to balk, it has many methods of gumming up the works at its disposal, including:
- Depending upon the kind of damage you’ve experienced, the insurance company may claim that you failed to reasonably mitigate the damage. As a policyholder, you are responsible for taking reasonable action to help ensure that any damage experienced isn’t unnecessarily exacerbated. For example, if your roof springs a leak, and you do nothing to help reduce the damage inside your home, the insurance company may have a point. Because your home is obviously important to you, however, you are unlikely to drop the ball on this matter.
- The insurance company may claim that your home had a leak that you chose to ignore and that subsequently caused damage.
- The insurance company may claim that the damage your home sustained is the result of your failure to follow basic maintenance requirements and to tend to necessary home repairs.
- The insurance company may claim that construction and/or design defects caused your damage.
The insurance company is adept at bypassing those payouts that it can get away with, and you owe it to yourself and your claim not to take their first offer at face value. Never accept a settlement offer for a significant residential insurance claim before you’ve discussed the matter carefully with an experienced residential insurance claims lawyer.
It’s Time to Consult with an Experienced Apollo Beach Commercial Insurance Claims Lawyer Today
If your commercial property has suffered serious damage, your business is also likely to suffer serious consequences. The dedicated commercial insurance claims lawyers at The Law Offices of Jerrod Paul, PA, in Apollo Beach, FL, have extensive experience helping clients like you successfully recover on their losses and keep their businesses moving forward. Your case matters, so please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us for more information today.